Thursday, February 10, 2011

What a great day!

Hi there everybody,

Yesterday Stan Doerr from ECHO mentioned that he was thinking of going out to see the Ngorongoro Crater today. Another board member Ron Tschetter and I decided to go with him. So this morning at 5 am we headed out in the dark to see the crater. The drive there was interesting once the sun came up. We passed a number of Maasai communities and some ancient baobab trees before we ever got to the Ngorongoro park. Once there we dropped down 600 meters (1800 feet) into the floor of the crater and started seeing herds of animals immediately. When I can post photos I will but here is the list of what we saw today: zebra, cape buffalo, elephant, lions, cheetahs who had just killed a baby wildebeast, hyena, hartebeast, Grant's gazelle, Thompson's gazelle, hippo, jackal, flamingos, martial eagle, marabou, ostrich, abdim storks, crowned cranes, weavers, swifts, and some amazing plants too. The wildebeast and zebras all had babies in the herds too. And yes Marissa I got some photos for you but I can't bring one back home for you.

tomorrow I leave Tanzania and head to Uganda for a quick visit with my dear friend Vicki. Love to you all.

Wendy

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, how do I make my jealousy seem spiritual? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I investigated on your blog few days ago about how to post comment. I just found out now. lol

    After read what you saw at the crater, it make me so jealous and really wanna be there with you to witness all those real life animal. You are so lucky. I have a dream that someday I could travel around the world like your journey.

    Hope to see all the real photo when you get back home. Those photos should be fabulous.

    Have A Magical Trip
    ChErRy MoUsE

    ReplyDelete
  3. April and I can't wait to see your photos of your trip. We have a Compassion girl in Uganda that we sponsor, besides one in Rhowanda (spell?) Hope the weather is nice. Mike and April

    ReplyDelete