Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lunch with friends today




It is Saturday May 22 and I rode into town today with Wendi and her girls. First we went Calumet Hospital to see a family friend who had a baby earlier this week. She has aplastic anemia so the birth was more complicated than normal. She is actually doing well and the baby, a boy, is fine. I was impressed with the hospital. She is in a private room and it is air conditioned with a mini fridge and space for her family. They have to stay there with her as the nurses don't do stuff like bathe her or help her to the restroom. The baby, no name yet, is adorable and I got to hold him for quite a while.

After the hospital Wendi dropped me outside the Russian Market where I met up with Joe and Kay Kong. I went to their house for lunch and it was a delightful visit. Their house is great, very spacious and cool. Tom there is a room for you when you are ready to visit! We had stopped at the fruit market on the way. The fruit in the photo includes mangosteen, rambutan and durian. I like the first two and try to avoid the third! It smells really bad.

The other photo I have added here is what we had for dinner yesterday. It is khaw, a beef dish with hard boiled eggs and a sweet brown sauce. It was really good. I wish I had taken the picture when there was more in the pot but you get the idea.

That's it for tonight. Love to you all.

Wendy

2 comments:

  1. Okay, that's it, I'm getting my paperwork, vaccinations, etc... together! I's say I was soooo jealous, but that wouldn't sound spiritual. Please send our love to Joe and Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the durian fruit, and yes, it's disgusting. It doesn't taste any better than it smells!

    ReplyDelete